Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is WEBvivo?
A software tool for making websites simple or complex, secure, fast and with reduced development time and cost, designed for programmers (non-end users).
He's got a little of these concepts:
- RAD: Rapid application development
- CMS: Content management system
- WAF: Web Application Framework
- KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid
How does it work?
- You install WEBvivo; The result is an operational website, with a template and a backend.
- You edit the template (skeleton) and the home page that are installed as an example to adapt it to your needs.
- You create new pages from the backend.
- You add your own code, without worrying about managing any of this:
- And much more....
What are your requirements?
- PHP 5.6 or later (PHP 7.1 or later recommended)
- MySQL, MariaDB, Percona (recommended MariaDB 10 or later)
- WEB Server. Only tested with Apache although it probably works on Nginx and IIS.
Why another framework if there are lots of them?
The first version of WEBvivo is from April 2002, then there were none of the current framewoks, so it is not one more. We have simply used it for years for our own developments without making it public.
How much does WEBvivo cost?
It seems that what is free does not cost, but SLOCCount says that the development cost $944,900 USD (about 767,000€). It may not be the best software in the world, nor the most expensive, but we don't charge licenses. WEBvivo is open source (free of charge), but without any guarantee. If you need support and guarantees, you can request a private license, ask us for a quote if you are interested.
What makes WEBvivo different?
It is focused on writing the code you need and solves many of the common tasks in web site development.
It has libraries to manage, among other things:
- Virtual Pages
- Texts (206 languages preinstalled)
- Rich text blocks
- Shopping cart
- Product Management via EAV
- Payment gateways
- Configuration Keys
- Multi-site and multi-template
- Banners, advertisers, click tracking and views with statistics
- News and Events
- Download and tracking of documents and images
- Image manipulation
- And more....
Why is it faster than other solutions?
- We don't use additional presentation layers like Smarty (we actually hate Smarty), PHP already integrates well with HTML.
- We don't use hooks because there are no third-party plugins, if you need something you must write a class (we have already said this is for programmers)
- We have reviewed the code over and over again to improve the loading speed.
Is WEBvivo safe?
The only thing certain in life is death, but one of the leaders of this project is an "obsessed" security consultant. There is no architecture or code made without carefully reviewing its security.
How do I start using it?
The first thing to do is to install it.
WEBvivo consists of two parts, a library in the directory normally used by the Pear libraries that can be used for all the websites of the same server and an installation for each website that has between 22 tables and more than 80 (depending on the functionalities).
In theory it is possible to use the part of the library installed in the web itself, for example in the level before public documents, since there is not even a single absolute path, all paths are handled with self-calculated variables, but we haven't really tried it.
Once installed, you already have an operative website with backend, from that point on you only have to write your code. The process is very fast, but unfortunately we don't have an installer yet, so you'll have to follow the instructions and possibly read at least some of the documentation to boot.